Monday, July 6, 2009

Busy Week

This past week was short, but seemed very busy. The library was closed Thursday and Friday due to the holiday, hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Last week I wrote my first article. It focuses on the Archives; giving some history, how the reorganization is going, and the need for help. So far Chris Sentz has given great comments and I'm looking forward to some great feedback for changes. I know this is only the first draft and will take some time until the final copy is complete. It is an exciting process and am looking forward to the end product. I've begun researching for my second article which will probably focus on electrification. The idea came from Virginia Schwartz about how electrics was linked to going green. I was really interested with the idea. Last semester I took an environmental class and really enjoyed it. The hopes are the article will be published in some sort of environmental magazine and get people interested in the Road. I was also able to meet the MRHA president last week. Bob Storozuk and his wife came to the Archives and it was great to meet him. Which I was told people are unable to comment. I apologize for that and will try and fix that asap. During my time off I went to see the movie Public Enemies with Johnny Depp, it is about the bank robber John Dillinger. I was originally interested in the movie due to it being filmed in Milwaukee and being a true story in the Midwest. But I thought it was really cool when Dillinger took a train and it just so happened to be The Milwaukee Road. They really incorporated true events into the movie and it shows how big the Road really was during that time. The train was only in the movie for 30 seconds, if if you don't like violence I don't suggest seeing it. This week I'll be working on a poster for the conventions and writing an article was the Staff News at the library.

1 comment:

  1. You are really learning about this Milwaukee Road and maybe you will become one of the young generation that the Milwaukee Collection and the Milwaukee Railroad Historical Association need to keep the history alive. We are so proud of the work you are doing and the possibility that you can spread the word to get more funding for the Milwaukee Collection so that it can be more accessable to the public. Thank you for your summer of volunteering for something your Grandfather and I love very much. We are working on starting a Fund Raising Campaign through the MRHA web site and hope to have it up and running before you finish the summer. Check Mrha.com soon for details.
    Carolyn Helms, Mrha Secretary and Company Store Manager (also Grandma)

    ReplyDelete